"I've served my time in Hell"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat May 7 13:06:24 UTC 2005

I know the name of the author of this line, but can't bring it to mind. Somewhere in the house I have a Xerox of the original publication and will search for it today.

As I recall, "Our Hitch in Hell" is the name of the poem, written on the Mexican Border in 1916. The 3rd Wyoming Infantry Regiment (National Guard) is mentioned.

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: "I've served my time in Hell"

The following query was posted on another listserv, and is of interest to
me for my quotation dictionary. Can Jon Lighter or Bill Mullins or other
militarily knowledgeable people supply any information?

"I have a patron who wants know to whom the following saying is
attributed. I have found it on various websites, but not really telling
who said/wrote it.--whether it is a paraphrase from something else, a
poem, a quote, or whatever.

'And when he gets to Heaven to Saint Peter he will tell "One more soldier
(Marine/Private) reporting sir. I've served my time in Hell."'

I have found references to Winston Churchill, the Medal of Honor computer
game (poem at start--don't own game myself), that it is a WWI poem, it
was said on D-Day, June 5-6, 1944; or at Guadalcanal for the Marines.

I have tried several quotation books and skimmed through our war poetry
books."

Fred Shapiro