"Walk and Wave"

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 7 16:23:26 UTC 2005

I was watching "Whipple's World" on NY1 as he covered the Tribeca Film Festival. He said that some celebrities follow festival founder Robert DeNiro and give "the walk and wave."
(FACTIVA) ("the walk and wave")
News And Features
Drama Almost Derailed Drag Queens
Julia Baird
461 words
Sydney Morning Herald
8
English
Copyright of John Fairfax Group Pty Ltd

The cluster of Sydney drag queens who featured in the closing ceremony almost pulled out last week because of what one called a ``complete lack of respect'' from Olympic organisers.
The choreography they had practised at multiple rehearsals was ditched in favour of the ``walk and wave''. They were told they would not walk a full lap of the stadium, and they were given only $150 each for a clothing allowance.
(FACTIVA)
Showtime
New theater and FunScape are winning combinations
Betsy Pickle
1,051 words
The Knoxville News-Sentinel
Final
F3
English
Copyright (c) 1998 Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company. All rights reserved.

Regal's West Town 9 and FunScape have been open for two whole days, so surely you've been there by now.
I took advantage of the preview nights Wednesday and Thursday at the new Regal theater and entertainment complex to get acquainted with the features -- and to ride as many rides free as I could.
The downside of that was I lost out on a lot of sleep last week. The upside is I can "review" the theater and FunScape.
All of the auditoriums at the West Town theater have stadium seating. To me, stadium seating is the best thing to happen to short people since proportional- length jeans. One of those NBA slackers could sit in front of me, and I wouldn't care.
One auditorium seats only 95, and the screen is tiny. However, I'm looking forward to watching an action film there because even in that small room, there are eight speakers. Crank the sound up, and you'll think you're in the movie.
All of the auditoriums have stereo sound, padded seats and retractable cup-holder armrests. The auditoriums have recessed spaces to hold trash bins, so you can throw your cups and popcorn bags away as you exit without stumbling over the trash can.
The FunScape isn't Disney World, but it's closer, it's cheaper and it has better air conditioning. Attractions are Sally Pistolero, Fun Machine, Star Theatre, bumper cars and the Max Flight roller coaster simulator.
I'm a medium-tech gal, so there's nothing more appealing to me than bumper cars. You can get up speed and get some decent impact on these babies.
I could see myself getting hooked on Sally Pistolero. You ride in a car and shoot at bad guys and "take" their gold by shooting it, too.
Star Theatre is a motion-simulator theater rotating three films. I saw "Dino Island II," the 3-D film, and the effects are terrific.
Be prepared for a long line at the Max Flight. It looks as if it would be worth the wait, judging from the screams coming from inside the capsule.
You can have a blast at the Fun Machine, blasting friends, family and strangers with foam balls. Wear comfortable play clothes so you can ride the corkscrew slide.
The games in the virtual video arcade look addictive. My buddy Nick Zacheretti demonstrated the skateboard game for me -- no way I'm getting on that. But that jet ski game is calling my name.
* Big things also are happening at Regal's Knoxville Center theater. Two more of the theater's auditoriums will be dedicated to East Tennessee legends this month.
First up is Dolly Parton, who will arrive at the Regal entrance of Knoxville Center by limousine at 2 p.m. Friday, Nov. 13. She'll then do the walk-and-wave thing as she heads into the theater.