Quotations from 2005

Sun May 8 07:23:26 UTC 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005 00:53:20 -0400, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:

[snip re: NMR vs. MRI]

>I suppose one could find articles or editorials on this nomenclature
>controversy in journals such as "Radiology" or "JNM" from the early
>1980's.

The good people at alt.folklore.urban have tracked down an article from
_Radiology_ which verifies the claim that the "N" of "NMR" was dropped to
avoid the negative connotations of "nuclear":

-----
http://tafkac.org/science/mri_not_nuclear.html

Thomas F. Meaney, M.D., "Magnetic Resonance without Nuclear", _Radiology_,
vol. 150, no. 1, January 1984, p.277

Abstract:

The American College of Radiology's Commission on Nuclear Magnetic
Resonance has recommended adoption of the term "Magnetic Resonance" as a
replacement. The author offers background and rationale for this shift in
terminology.

Body:

Almost as soon as clinical Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) systems became
available, debate centered on the name: "Nuclear" Magnetic Resonance. In
view of the concern of our society with things "nuclear", many considered
that this word might suggest that radioactivity is associated with the
procedure in the minds of the general public and, more specifically,
patients undergoing examination.

A new society, composed of respective investigators in NMR, was formed for
the purpose of scientific communication in the medical applications of the
technology and chose the name "Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine,"
omitting the word "Nuclear."

[should it be called MRI(maging), MRS(pectroscopy), MRCT (computed
tomography), etc. deleted.]

At a recent meeting, the American College of Radiology's Commission was
unanimous in recommending the adoption of the term "Magnetic Resonance."
Such terminology is sufficiently nonspecific to include the possibility of
electron spin resonance, but appropriate in unifying both imaging and
spectroscopy. And, the deletion of the word "Nuclear" may be helpful in
eliminating undesirable connotations in the minds of the public.
-----

Another relevant quote (from _A Machine Called Indomitable_ by N. R.
Kleinfield, 1985) is reproduced here:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.folklore.urban/msg/da1ff0d95a6a68d3

--Ben Zimmer