mints pie? axe of God? religious tracks? Prints of Wales?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 8 20:31:25 UTC 2005

At 10:15 AM -0700 5/8/05, James Smith wrote:
>I've heard, and possibly used, both "getting on track"
>and "getting untracked".  Both make sense, with
>opposite meanings.  Are you talking of using the
>inappropriate phrase when the opposite meaning is
>meant?

Yes, "getting untracked" (used in the de-slumpification sense) is
precisely the same as getting on track, with the positive meaning.
The problem with that roller coaster headline I cited yesterday is
that both the literal (negative) meaning of "get untracked" and the
figurative (positive) meaning appear to be relevant, but no irony
seems intended.

Larry