Fwd: Re: Fwd: a datum from dialectal Dutch (?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 9 15:56:31 UTC 2005

Contribution to the "poppycock" debate from a colleague who knows
more about the Dutch lexicon than anyone else I know, Jack Hoeksema
of the U. of Groningen.  It is beginning to appear that "pappekak"
is, well, poppycock.

Larry
--- begin forwarded text

From: "J. Hoeksema" <J.Hoeksema at let.rug.nl>
To: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 17:28:51 +0100
Subject: Re: Fwd: a datum from dialectal Dutch (?)

>We're trying to ascertain the accuracy of the claim that
>"poppycock" derives from a 'dialectal Dutch' form _pappekak_ 'soft
>dung'.  Might it be Flemish?  Seems like the dung would be softer
>there.

The WNT (Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal, like OED, but larger)
does not list _pappekak_ or its obvious spelling variants. Nor does the
dictionary of middle Dutch. The Internet, likewise, does not yield any Dutch
texts with this word, but many citations from American/English dictionaries.
On the other hand, _pappekak_ is a possible word. Pap (or pappe) is used to
indicate porridge, so "porridge shit" is a plausible vehicle for the meaning
"soft dung". The problem is its attestation. My money is on the OED, which
lists it as American slang, and does not offer a Dutch origin. The earliest
attestations (late 19th century) are also a bit late for a Dutch origin.

Best,

Jack

--- end forwarded text