(quasi-)neologisms

Mon May 9 16:18:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:55:34 -0400, Michael Adams <madams1448 at AOL.COM> wrote:

>Jesse is right that ADJ + much predates "Buffy" -- but OED's second
>quote from "Heathers" is the only known pre-"Buffy" instance of it and
>the pattern seems to have been "invented" for "Heathers," then
>exploited by "Buffy" such that it's a "Buffyism" more than it's
>anything else.  (ADJ + much isn't the only item from "Heathers"
>borrowed and developed in "Buffy.")  Eventually, outside of "Buffy,"
>NOUN + much develops, apparently on the ADJ + much model, so ADJ + much
>is more interesting than at first it seems -- if anyone ever uncovers
>an instance of ADJ + much from between 1988 and 1997 (besides the one
>in the "Buffy" film of 1992), I'd be glad to hear about it, because it
>would change the picture some to know that it had a life outside of the
>Heathers/Buffy relationship.

Check the Usenet archive.  For "jealous much?" I see one cite from '91,
two from '92, two from '93, etc.  I'd guess _Heathers_ fans did the early
popularizing.

-----
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.sport.football.college/msg/ec8b4fb963fe04e6
rec.sport.football.college, Nov 8 1991
What's your point? That the media likes UVa more than Tech (jealous much,
Michael?), and was clever enough to put the story back a few pages so that
UVa could recruit more effectively?
-----
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.romance.chat/msg/1f014c50cb59582f
alt.romance.chat, Sep 25 1992
"Jealous much?"  Fenwyck asked with a smirk.
-----
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.sport.basketball.college/msg/3d6a908ffdbee2f1
rec.sport.basketball.college, Dec 3 1992
So... jealous much?
-----
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.angst/msg/4b55e7c666048f0a
alt.angst, Jul 31 1993