Solecism? Or SOTA?

Rex W. Stocklin stocklin at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon May 9 23:22:47 UTC 2005

At 1:40 PM -0400 5/9/05, Laurence Horn wrote:

>At 8:56 AM -0700 5/9/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
>  >Overheard yesterday on an airliner. The primary speaker was an
>African-American woman, about 40, who was flying to L.A.:
>>
>>"Oh, I have sextuplets.  Three boys and three girls."
>>
>>"Sextuplets? My, oh my! They were all born at once?"
>  >
>  >"Oh, no!  They were born at different times! But there are six of them!"
>>

>Well, technically, n-tuplets are all born at different times,
>although as part of the same macro-event.  Presumably this trivial
>seriatim reading was not intended here.

Perhaps she was a meanin' that she had tuplets of whatever
classification, but ALL on account of that there sex there. ;-)

If there were 6 screaming imps on MY flight, why...I'm afraid they'd
become extuplets. ;-)

Never discounting the obvious amongst the pedestrians,
Lexy Rexy,
Fishers