Fwd: 16.1469, Sum: American Dialects

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 10 18:05:19 UTC 2005

--
Don't none o' y'all 'member "Lum and Abner" at the "Jot 'Em Down
General Store"? Haow abaout "The Judy ("Bah dangih dawgihz, Ah shore
do love that 'ere gal," as Lewkih, Jewdih's boy fren, used to say)
Canova Show"? "The Eddie Arnold Show"? Not to mention the many kangs
of twang feartured on "Grand Ol' Opry." Hail far, y'all! Thar was even
a "Li'l Abner" radio show! And who doesn't recall "Chester" of
"Gunsmoke"? Not to mention the many hick sidekicks who were staples of
horse opera. The only radio show not to fall into line was the Tom Mix
Show, which featured both a Latino oaf and a black oaf, which
characters vwere played by white men, of course. The white guy playing
the black guy was so over the top in his version of negro dialect that
I didn't even realize that the character was supposed to be colored at
till I saw a cartoon of him. Of course, these all date from radio days
that much preceded commercial TV. But, nevertheless, cracker comedy
isn't something that simply sprang fully-formed from some TV writer's
brain.

-Wilson Gray