more on "which" and "that"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 11 16:18:17 UTC 2005

I go back to the early '40's, when the only kind of rule known was the
prescriptive rule, since we were all colored children who, from the
fourth grade on, were taught a foreign language that we called
"Ang-lish," as opposed to our native tongue, Merican [mE:k at n], whose
use was suppressed, in the classroom, at least, if not on the
playground.Yet, I am in complete agreement with arnold, Doug, and MW.
As is the case with most of us, I had never heard of this nonsensical
prescriptive "which/that" rule until I read about it in Safire.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray