"If a tree falls..."

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu May 12 12:24:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Duane Campbell wrote:

> > Can anyone help me determine the origin of the philosophical conundrum "If
> > a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"
> >
> > Fred Shapiro
>
> I am frankly surprised to see such a question from an esteemed language
> professional. It is not a philosophical conundrum at all. It is a semantic
> question intended to play on the man in the street's ignorance of how
> language works. There are two answers, and both are simple. If by "sound"
> you mean the waves set off by the tree falling, the answer is "yes." If you
> mean "sound" as the interpretation of those waves by the appropriate part of
> the brain, the answer is "no."

This is probably not worth responding to, but let me set out the following
explanation:

If there were no "external" world to serve as cause of our sensations,
where would our sensations and our ideas about the world come from? It
is God who must provide them, Berkeley argues. "To be is to be
perceived," he insists, but everything that exists must therefore be
perceived, all the time, by God. (It was regarding Berkeley's philosophy
that some wit formulated the old gambit, "If a tree falls in the
forest...")
        Kathleen M. Higgins and Robert C. Solomon, A Short History of
Philosophy (1996)

Finally, let me note that I am pleased if I am "esteemed," but I am
certainly not a "language professional."

Fred Shapiro