"Which" and "that"

Fri May 13 14:09:09 UTC 2005

I support "which/that" prescriptivism, in particular
in formal language.  I find documents written in
compliance with this rule are easier to read and
clearer than those that ignore it, e.g, peer-reviewed
articles; text books; and federal and state
legislation, rules, regulations, court decisions, and
so forth.

For general and informal usage, I - like most people
IMO - ignore the "rule" with no great harm.  I first
encountered this rule in graduate school - perhaps it
is not meant for the unwashed masses. :)