"Which" and "that"

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Fri May 13 17:07:26 UTC 2005

The is exactly the rule I learned and still follow.  The non-restrictive
"which" comes naturally to most NSs of English, in my experience, until
they hypercorrect in writing (messed up by the punctuation problem, as
Arnold said).  But NNSs have a dickens of a time with the distinction;
they've been taught to simplify the learning burden by using "that"
everywhere, in place of "who/whom/which" (NS teachers and books try to
teach the difference between restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses, I'm
sure, but NNS teachers may themselves not know the rule).  As a result, I
often get nonrestrictive "that" in foreign students' writing.

Beverly