eggcorn

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri May 13 17:22:48 UTC 2005

Ahhhh, 'egg' with a tense vowel! When I was very, very young I had
acting ambitions and signed on with the Carriage House players of
Louisville, KY (the precursor to the later very successful Actors
Theater).

In one of my first outings, I played several small bits in The
Scottish play, including one of the murderers of Lady Macduff and her
children. As the scene develops, one the children called me a
"Shag-haired villain," Taking not so well to this, the murderer
responds "What you egg.' I did this in my first rehearsal with a
fully-blown native /eg/ (certainly even more diphthongized than that
phonemic representation would suggest).

Although the Carriage House Players consisted of mostly locals, there
was greater consternation with my vowel than if I had actually
dispatched the snot-nosed little brat on the spot.

Happily, no linguistic insecurity has followed me all of these subsequent days.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor