Whole Nine Yards (1955!)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat May 14 01:18:09 UTC 2005

I too am skeptical until I see some documentation. Points in favor of the
explanation are that it is in military aviation and from the Florida
panhandle--both sources of some of the earliest documented uses from a
decade later. Points against are that it is Navy, not Air Force like the
earliest documented uses, and that no innocent uses of the "whole nine
yards" pop up for over a decade. One would expect the phrase to appear in
base newspapers and other published sources without reference to the ribald
story if it were truly widely known in naval aviation circles.

The best bet for looking would be in the personal papers of those who went
through Pensacola in the mid-1950s. Dirty songs would almost certainly not
be officially published anywhere, but there would undoubtedly be typewritten
and mimeographed versions of drinking songs and marching "jodies." Such
unofficial song and marching cadence books would likely be retained as
memorabilia.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net