"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Sat May 14 21:41:20 UTC 2005

When we had Chomsky here for a talk in '85 or thereabouts, the secretary
made up flyers announcing that "Dr. Noam Chomsky" would talk.  Our dept.
chair made her re-do them, of course--no one at MIT would be called Dr. or
Professor!

In my experience, Colleges of Education are the fussiest about being
"properly" addressed.  I once called our own C of E and asked to speak with
"Bill Smith," and the receptionist haughtily said "Do you mean Dr. Smith?"