"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun May 15 23:39:14 UTC 2005

 Jim Landau writes:

>A generation and a half into the age of Women's Lib, has the title "Miss"
>dropped out of use even though the (allegedly sexist) title "Mrs."  remains?

The idea of having a title for women that had no more reference to marital
status than "Mr" did for men has had a very hard time in this land of
women's lib.  People persist in thinking it's just a substitute for "Miss."
I'm all for the idea of Ms but have never actually liked the form. (I
usually chuck the return-address labels that arrive in the mail each week
that have "Ms" or "Mrs," & use only the ones with my name or initials.)
A. Murie