"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon May 16 00:17:27 UTC 2005

flanigan at OHIOU.EDU wrote:

>Our adjuncts and even TAs are often called "Dr."  One adjunct, and M.A.,
>delights in it.  The TAs correct the students but often accept "Professor"
>with delight.

I used to be thrilled at being called "Professor" when I was a mere
instructor.

>I hear "Miss" generally only in restaurants, stores, etc., when one wants
>to get the attention of the so-addressed person.  No one would be caught
>dead saying "Ma'am" anymore, right?

You should live here!  I get "Ma'am" all the time from my students at
the Air Force Base as a direct address, usually in e mails starting with
'Ma'am."  It was (maybe still is) popular in the south as well-- when I
lived in Oklahoma, I was "ma'amed" to death.

Patti Kurtz

--

Freeman - Long day?

Straker - Long month!