"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon May 16 02:14:20 UTC 2005

I knew I'd get a rise out of this one!  My students think "Ma'am" is
terribly old-fashioned and actually do laugh when I bring it up.  But we on
the list ARE older, and yes, I use it in stores too and then feel, well,
old.  I'm also aware that it's more common in the South, where polite
children, black and white, say "yes, ma'am" and "no, sir" regularly.