"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Roger Shuy rshuy at MONTANA.COM
Mon May 16 13:11:55 UTC 2005

on 5/15/05 8:43 PM, Laurence Horn at laurence.horn at YALE.EDU wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

--> -

An interesting thing happens when I testify as an expert witness in trials.
Sometimes the opposing lawyer who is cross examining me asks me, early on,
how he should address me--Professor? Doctor? Mister? I suspect that my own
lawyer would prefer Doctor, since Professor carries the notion of
absent-minded, a bit nutty to some jurors at least. Mister doesn't quite fit
the notion of an expert. Doctor may seem self-serving. I've never quite
managed to satisfy anyone with my answer, which is "call me whatever you
want to." But it's a real pickle, a kind of no-win situation.

As for "sir," I have found that when the opposing attorney gets a bit miffed
at me or thinks he/she has me in some kind of corner, I start getting called
"sir." Sarcasm I suppose.

It's usually best for all parties in trials to call the judge, "your honor"
and to refer to the defendants, however disrespectable they might be, as
"Mr,"or "Ms." Of course, it's best to call the lawyers Mr. or Ms. also.

roger