"Once a Dodger, Always a Dodger" (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 17 12:04:06 UTC 2005

_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/895/once-a-dodger-always-a-dodger_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/895/once-a-dodger-always-a-dodger)
I've just added "once a Dodger, always a Dodger" to my web page.
Can anyone beat 1934?
(The attached is FYI.)

-----------------
Forwarded  Message:
Subj: Newark & Brooklyn Baseball History   Date: 5/17/2005 7:56:37 A.M.
Eastern Daylight Time  From: _ebegley2 at juno.com_ (mailto:ebegley2 at juno.com)   To:
_Bapopik at aol.com_ (mailto:Bapopik at aol.com)   Sent from the Internet _(Details)_
(aolmsg://07224ad0/inethdr/2)

Chapter members and friends,
Two upcoming events on May 22  & on June 22 celebrate baseball history. The
June 22 event needs some  planning, which is why it is immediately below. The
event is being coordinated  by SABR member Michael Collazo. Following that is
member Tom Gilbert's Baseball  Walking Tour.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Michael Collazo  <mcollazo215 at yahoo.com>
To: ebegley2 at juno.com

We are putting  together a Senior Day on Wednesday, June 22, a special 12
noon start. We wanted  to do a nice pre game ceremony honoring the history of
Newark baseball. Would  you be able to email our colleagues to see if anyone has
a personal connection  with either the old Newark Bears or Eagles for our pre
game ceremony?

I  want to have about four or five people acknowledged that either played for
 either team, is a relative of a former player, worked at old Ruppert Stadium
as  a bat boy or even as a front office staffer or usher or concessions.
Since  virtually all of the players are no longer with us, I wanted to honor
anyone  with a connection with our history here.

Thanks for your help. They can  email or call me if they are interested in
taking part on June 22.

Thanks!
Michael Collazo
973-848-1000 ext.  135
mcollazo at newarkbears.com

Attention fans of the Dodgers, baseball and  Brooklyn history: This walk will
meet at J. J. Byrne Park at Fifth Avenue and  Third Street in Brooklyn . This
was the site of the first Washington Park ,  which was a Revolutionary War
battlefield in the 18th century and a baseball  field for much of the nineteenth
century; it served as the Brooklyn Dodgers'  original home. Tour guide Thomas
Gilbert will lead the group across Fourth  Avenue to the site of Washington
Park II, where the Dodgers played from 1898  through 1912 and where Casey
Stengel played his first big league game. See  sections of Washington Park 's left
and center field walls, which are,  miraculously, still standing. Built
between 1899 and 1908, these walls represent  the oldest standing major league
structure anywhere.

Guide: Thomas  Gilbert is the author and co-author of more than a dozen books
on baseball and  baseball history, and a contributor to numerous periodicals.
Gilbert also  co-chairs a coalition that is working to preserve Brooklyn's
Washington Park  wall.

Meet at J. J. Byrne Park , Fifth Avenue and Third Street in Park  Slope,
Brooklyn . Wear comfortable walking shoes. Pre-paid reservations are  required as
availability is limited. All dates rain or shine. Sorry, no refunds.  Members
$10, non-members $15, children 12 years and under $5. Fees do not  include
meals or refreshments. Call 718.222.4111, ext. 250.