"Foodstore" (was Re: Eggcorn?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 18 17:51:54 UTC 2005

At 1:17 PM -0400 5/18/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Hm. You guys say "foodstore" and not "grocery store"? Interesting. How
>about shopping? Do you also say "go foodshopping?" FWIW, for me, going
>to the grocery store to shop is simply "going to the store" and "going
>shopping" means going downtown or, nowadays, to the mall.

Same for me, now that I think of it, at least for the former.  But in
context going to the grocery store can also = "shop", as in "Whose
turn is it to shop this week?"  I could never use "food store" or "go
food shopping" except to disambiguate an earlier utterance that was
deemed underspecified--"I meant go FOOD shopping".

Larry