wildflowers

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Thu May 19 02:25:24 UTC 2005

In the spring, I used to follow my mother around our ex-urban neighborhood,
in development but not developed, as she collected up greens for
supper--dandelion, poke, and other stuff.  Even in the spring they were
pretty strong tasting, but good.  My regret is twofold: as a linguist, I
didn't pay attention to the names; as an eater, I can't replicate her
search.

Jim

Arnold M. Zwicky writes:

> On May 17, 2005, at 12:01 PM, sagehen wrote:
>
>> arnold writes:
>>
>>> and there are strains of some weedy
>>>
>> wildflowers -- even dandelions! -- that are meant for cultivation,
>> though i tend to be wary indeed of them.<
>> ~~~~~~
>> Those dandelions that are cultivated for food are usually not
>> actually the
>> same as the wild ones, /Taraxacum/, but are a variety of chicory,
>> /Cicchorium/.
>
> i've seen both offered for sale.
>
>> Wild dandelions are a wonderful food plant. In our cool New England-
>> like
>> summers we can eat them from early spring until well after frost in
>> the
>> fall.
>
> yes indeed.  in my eastern pa. childhood, the beginning of spring was
> signaled by my pa. dutch grandmother going out and grubbing in the
> snow for dandelion greens, which she'd prepare with "endive
> dressing" ["endive" here = chicory], mostly curdled milk and bacon.
> yum.
>
> arnold

James C. Stalker
Department of English