eggcorn

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 19 21:41:21 UTC 2005

John, have you ever tried to get today's undergraduates to read - actually read - "Gulliver's Travels" unabridged ?  Without the Cliff Notes ?

I didn't mean to speak for all of _us_. That was the populist "us."

JL "The People's PhD"

"Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
Subject: Re: eggcorn

Ah, yes, the stodgy and enervated diction of Jonathan Swift. One wonders how a writer so plodding and lacking in energy is able to find readers today. For those who can bear it, a few reminders of the hapless old fellow's style:

"And he gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together."

"I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child, well nursed, is at a year old, a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee, or a ragout."

"Last week I saw a woman flayed, and you will hardly believe how much it altered her person for the worse."

John Baker