Ruminations on the chronology of "jazz" -- (was: article on early jazz recordings)

Thu May 19 23:16:05 UTC 2005

Note Barry Popik's discovery:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0011A&L=ads-l&P=R5358

*******Quote starts***********
The earliest "jazz" song copyright (I may have cited this before) is:

JAZBO: FOXTROT
by Arthur S. Shaw
January 3, 1916
Forster Music Publishers, Chicago
E375282

   "Jazz" in Chicago in 1915-1916!

Gracyk's site also has a discussion of the Original Dixieland Jass Band:

http://www.garlic.com/~tgracyk/odjb.htm

Which makes it obvious he had access to many documents from their early
years (from a descendant of an original member).  It might be useful to
direct him to this discussion; he perhaps could add to it.

(Gracyk's site has a number of other interesting articles; well worth
perusing. . . )