adjective "Christian"

Rex W. Stocklin stocklin at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri May 20 05:00:11 UTC 2005

At 4:32 AM -0400 5/19/05, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

>Hmm... the similar "bufu" dates to 1982 (in HDAS, also Jesse
>Sheidlower's  "Revising _The F-Word_"
><http://www.verbatimmag.com/f_word.pdf>).  "Bofo" would seem to be
>influenced by "mofo", recently discussed here.  So was "bofo"
>pronounced like "buh-fuh" at Rose-Hulman, by any chance?  (I'm
>guessing not, since the play on "bozo(s)" wouldn't work in that
>case.)

No, they pronounced it as in hobo, or more germane to THAT era, Led
Zep's ZoSo. ;-) Why, I'm not sure, but I don't think for any pun,
that was my silly invention upon the CD reissue of the Firesign's
deep catalog shortly after 9/11. A much needed dose of levity.

Did a small all-male engineering college have a well-rounded palate
of interests, such as the Proctor & Bergman troupe? Prolly not. Of
recorded material, I only know of their overwhelming cult love of all
things Prog, an almost extinct musical "lifeform" that is witnessing
a renaissance of late. What do you expect from the
vinyl-pocket-protected crowd?

"Bufu" rather sounds like some form of orphan neurological disease.
Wait that'd be "kuru" never mind. I spose the "u"s are short at any
rate, though not nearly as beguiling a word.

I got my mofo woikin',
Lexy
Fishers, IN