Stud (vt)

Fri May 20 07:58:38 UTC 2005

Neither the AHD nor online OED include the verb "stud" meaning to breed.

Google offers a plethora (16,400) hits for

dog studding

"If your vet gets any idea that you want to be studding your dog, he's not
gonna do it. So, no matter what he says, tell him you don't ever want to
stud that dog. NEVER."
(From '"Studding My Dog"' http://www.katewerk.com/studhell.html)

Want ad titled "Studding": Description: I am looking to stud my bassett
ASAP. he is a beautiful AKC registed young adult. please contact if
interested. (From
http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/dogs/4111dda0-b983.aspx)

And then there's the prescriptivist at
http://www.bestinshow.net/learning/lewin.html, excerpt:

-----
 $B!H (BI have a Dalmatian and I want to stud him. $B!I (B

(Heavy sigh).   $B!H (BI get so many calls like this.  I must forewarn you that
studding a dog is very bloody and painful.  Stud your jeans, if you must, or
stud the dog $B!G (Bs collar but please don $B!G (Bt stud your dog. $B!I (B

(Confused silence).   $B!H (BNo, I mean I want to mate him....with a female....for
puppies. $B!I (B  (Caller is now convinced he has somehow reached the state funny
farm).
-----

Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place