When & whence "have a good day"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 20 21:26:53 UTC 2005

I never had that impression.  I remember noticing its ubiquity but can't quite recall just when that was.  "Have a *nice* day" was the form that excited horror amongst prophets of linguistic doom. '70s ?  Early '80s ?

My own feeling is that either form is precisely as harmless as the hallowed and archaic "Good day !"  They've never bugged me.

Now, smiley faces. *They* bug me !

JL

sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: sagehen
Subject: When & whence "have a good day"?

I can't remember when or where I first heard the now-ubiquitous "have a
good day" (& minor variations, as "have a good un") following every
transaction. Perhaps it hasn't supplanted the " y'all come back now" of
other regions, but it is heard on all sides in the northeast. Did this come
from tv?
A. Murie

A&M Murie
N. Bangor NY