One man's meate is another man's poyson 1618

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 21 18:55:56 UTC 2005

>On Sat, 21 May 2005 00:25:51 -0400, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>wrote:
>
>>At 2:21 PM -0700 5/20/05, James Smith wrote:
>>>Sorry that I can't recall the story, put the punch
>>>line is "One man's Meade is another man's Persian."
>>>Sound familiar to any of you?
>>>
>>"One man's Mede is another man's Persian"
>>225 google hits, with various attributions to, inter al., S.J.
>  >Perelman..., George S. Kaufman ...
>
>Kaufman gets the credit as early as 1950 on N-Archive, but a 1938 New York
>Times article attributes it to "college jokesmiths".  And a 1956 Chicago
>Tribune piece credits Franklin P. Adams.

Actually, now that I think of it, I guess I'll have to vote for
Kaufman, if I want my earlier speculative attribution to the Round
Table to be right.   But it does seem dubious in light of the 1938
cite.  Anonymous "college jokesmiths" probably came up with more of
the Round Tablers' bon mots than just this one.

Larry