absotively (1914)

Mon May 23 10:57:34 UTC 2005

HDAS has 1926 for the jocular blend "absotively".

-----
Syracuse Herald, Mar 27, 1914, p. 8, col. 3
"The Jarr Family: Mr. Blodger Succumbs to Superior Education"
By Roy L. M'Cardell.

"Postolutely you're right!" Gus declared, also giving Mr. Blodger a
scornful glance. "As long as he loses his money I'll shake dice with him,
but socially I wouldn't have anything to do with him. Absotively and
postolutely not!"
"What do yon mean by your 'absotively and 'postolutely?' asked the King
Snake of the Splendid and Sagacious Society of Snakes sullenly. "There are
no such words."
"Ho, there ain't, ain't they?" retorted Gus. "Them woids what I had made
for me by a feller what talks educationally. You know who I mean.
Slavinsky?"
-----

The databases reveal a few other variations for the companion of
"absotively", e.g. "positutely" (1915) and "posolutely" (1918).  The more
familiar "posilutely" shows up in 1919.

--Ben Zimmer