**spamTrapper 02.76** Standing, Stopping and Parking in the US

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon May 23 19:03:53 UTC 2005

I've always enjoyed this pair:

Saint Louis:   NO THROUGH STREET

Los Angeles: STREET NOT THROUGH

They both mean "DEAD END," of course.

As a child, I was totally confused by Saint Louis's NO PARKING HERE TO
CORNER street signs, which I understood to mean NO PARKING HERE [IN
ORDER] TO CORNER. For years, I wondered exactly what it is that one
does, when one "corners." I was also impressed by the efficacy of this
traffic law, since I never saw so much as a single car park in such a
space and then follow that act by cornering.

-Wilson Gray