ADS-L Archives; No Standing; Sopapilla & Chicken California

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 23 23:31:35 UTC 2005

ADS-L ARCHIVES
Here's what the ADS website says:
..

Sunday, May 02, 2004

1992-1999 ADS-L Archive

Below you can search the old ADS-L email list _archive_
(http://www.americandialect.org/americandialectarchives/) ,  1992-1999, using Google. All Google
search operators and conventions can be  used. The newer archive, including
messages from 1999 through today, are  searchable via _LinguistList_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?S1=ads-l) .  Instructions for participating in
the list _are  available_
(http://www.americandialect.org/index.php/amerdial/ads_l_the_american_dialect_society_email_discussion_list/) .
As of May 13, 2005, Google has only partially indexed these files. It may
take another week, at least, for them to be fully searchable.
Well, it's past another week. This was posted almost one year ago by Grant
Barrett (who insists I don't read these things):
(ADS-L, June 2, 2004)
The old email archives
(pre-1999) will be offline while I get them  accommodated to the new
server (something akin to buttering a cat's paws) and  install better
searching tools. This should happen this weekend.
"This weekend."
It's been one year. Actually, longer than that since the old archives went
down.
It's pretty difficult enough to work for free and to post it here.  The
scholarly reward of it all? To wait weeks and months and years for simple  text to
be sorted, if your work is not lost completely?
Thanks for the insults, too.
Tomorrow, I'll do some research again that I had posted here nine years  ago.
STANDING, STOPPING, PARKING
(ADS-L TODAY)
>NO PARKING HERE TO CORNER is also a familiar sight in  NYC.
>
>The most understandable is DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT PARKING  HERE, seen
>on Fifth Ave. & 44th (I think) St. about 25 years  ago.  Is it still
>there ?  Who was the genius behind it  ?

I always assumed it was in the spirit of Ed Koch, whoever  was
actually responsible for creating.  It's his voice I hear scolding  me.

I've had this posted for months now. No one reads it? Not a single  person?
_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/238/dont-even-think-of-parking-here-no-park
ing-no-standing-no-stopping-no-kidding_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/238/dont-even-think-of-parking-here-no-parking-no-standing-no-stopping-no-kidding
)
SOPAPILLA & CHICKEN CALIFORNIA
(ADS-L TODAY)
Barry sez:

I ate at El Azteca Mexican Restaurant, 783  Ninth Avenue (Corner 52nd
Street). Fried ice cream was on the dessert list  (but I had the "sopapilla"
instead).
<<<

I've usually seen  "sopa{i}pilla". Is this a different spelling or a typo?

-- Mark A.  Mandel
That's the spelling here. The only other menu item that I haven't researched
here might be "Chicken California."
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
_Chicken: California Chicken &  Beans_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.support.diet.low-calorie/browse_thread/thread/b3ab422f0475386a/d8a37053ee2cb
106?q="chicken+california"&rnum=3&hl=en#d8a37053ee2cb106)
I haven't actually tried this one yet, but  chicken with beans is usually a
winning combination. -- Melissa  140/110/110 Goal! * Exported ...
_alt.support.diet.low-calorie_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.support.diet.low-calorie?hl=en)  - Sep 15  2000, 9:40 am by Melissa in MA - 1
message - 1 author