Republican Elephant? (1869)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 25 15:37:49 UTC 2005

Hay, Barry! When did we quit talking about "The" Central Park?  I know my grandparents, lifelong Manhattanites, never used the definite article.

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Republican Elephant? (1869)

By the way, it appears that Nast's Central Park "Republican Vote" elephant
is female, and her name is "Andra." According to this story, she was 11 feet
high, 1,800 pounds, and 38 years old. She came from Bremen.

_The Female Elephant in the Central Park._
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=79352570&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=
HNP&TS=1117032208&clientId=65882)
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 5, 1869. p. 2 (1
page)