Jap

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed May 25 21:54:14 UTC 2005

When we added Japanese to the languages we run out of Linguistics, we had
to come up with a suitable catalog abbreviation.  Of course, JAP was out,
even though three-letter codes were preferred.  So we came up with JAPN,
and still the Dean worried that we would be thought racist.  She wanted
JPN, but we held firm on JAPN and won.  It's less opaque, obviously.