Origin of word "redskin"

Thu May 26 17:44:24 UTC 2005

Thanks, Dennis, for remembering me!

Native Americans aren't really "red," are they! The blood-dripping scalp
story, though, is pretty clearly not historically true. The term was in use long
before scalp-taking was even thought of. (Since scalp-taking is more often
thought of as a practice practiced by Indians rather than on Indians, it seems
unlikely, anyway.) One etymology has it that early settlers in New England
encountered indigenous folk who used red body paint.

David Barnhart and I both worked on the history and present meaning of
"redskin." Except as a term applied to peanuts, fire hoses, motorcycles, and the
Washington, DC, football team, the term is actually pretty much obsolete today.
No one would say, "A Redskin family moved into my neighborhood today" without
expecting that people would assume that they were speaking of folks who had
affiliation with the sports team.

Most recently, a federal court ruled that the football team has a legitimate
right to the trademark--that it is not "scandalous" or "defamatory" or
"derogatory." The court overruled a decision to the contrary by the federal trademark
board.