Jap

Thu May 26 21:20:16 UTC 2005

Beverly writes:

  When we added Japanese to the languages we run out of Linguistics, we had
to come up with a suitable catalog abbreviation.  Of course, JAP was out,
even though three-letter codes were preferred.  So we came up with JAPN,
and still the Dean worried that we would be thought racist.  She wanted
JPN, but we held firm on JAPN and won.  It's less opaque, obviously.
  <<<<<

At Dragon Systems we went with JPN. It avoided the slur, we didn't really
need transparency to the user, and it stayed with the 3-letter pattern we
had established for other languages.

-- Mark A. Mandel
    Chief Linguist, Dragon Systems, Inc. (R.I.P.), 1990-2001
    [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]