Re:       Re: † † † Re: Origin of word "redskin"

Fri May 27 19:52:20 UTC 2005

In a message dated 5/27/05 3:31:55 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> "obvious lie" is too strong, on both counts.  the claim about
> etymology is false, but not a lie, and its falsity is scarcely
> obvious to many intelligent people.

Hmm, well, it seems to me that it is "obvious" to Dr. Nunberg. And a lie is
saying the thing that is not so and knowing, as one says it, that it is not so.
Which is NOT to say that he is a lier, only that he seemed to be advocating a
kind of, well, disingenuousness that is not very productive.