"Guys and Dolls"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 29 15:48:35 UTC 2005

It's had little influence that I'm aware of.

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: "Guys and Dolls"

I am including book titles in my quotation dictionary when they have
"entered the language." I am trying to decide whether to include Damon
Runyon's title "Guys and Dolls." The OED cites this as one of their
quotations under "guy," but that may or may not mean much. Does anyone
have a sense of how linguistically or phraseologically influential
Runyon's title was?

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com