another eggcorn?

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 31 10:22:11 UTC 2005

I just saw on the local news a follow-up to a recent story in which a woman was attacked with a hammer. A neighbor (female) who heard the woman scream said in an interview that "it was a blood-curling scream."

Margaret Lee

"Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:
On May 15, 2005, at 1:53 AM, Rex W. Stocklin inventoried a big pile
of errors:

> The boobs that are passed off as schooled, well-spoken news anchors,
> with eggcorn (or worse) on their faces:
>
> - The assessable parking ramp was blocked...
> - ...for all intensive purposes...
> - The councilman gleamed some knew perspective...
> - The church leadership prayed and led to their upmost.
> - Citizens, get thee to the liberry! (N.B. - a pervertedly ironic
> attempt at being cerebral)
> - It was done, all in good conscious.
> - ...in his own inhibitable style.
> - ...peanuts, caramel and a delicious chewy nugget in the center.
> - The thing is, messy political scoundrels upset people a great
> deal. (N.B. - very funny, but...)
> - She had a brain tumor she feared was malicious. (N.B. - ditto)
> - The printers blowed up the picture eight times larger than life-
> size.
> - But her decision making was beyond approach (N.B. - well, I
> guess...)
> - ...above the pale.
> - The latest complaint du jour is GERD, gastroesophageal reflex
> disease (N.B. - points for the BIG words)
> - Signed, respectively yours, the station management.
> - The new owner's a world-class restauranteur...
> - Pregame commentators made a good assertation...
> - Because of her DNR, NO heroic measurements were taken.
> - The ill-fated car bounded acrossed the medium... (note: I don't
> take issue with "acrossed", an infamous regional slurring)
> - (N.B. - I swear this is as real as all these others) Younger
> sports fans don't know buttkiss...

this is a really heterogeneous collection, with non-standard
variants, common misspellings, nonce misspellings, malapropisms of
several kinds, etc.

but in there are at least two possible eggcorns: "chewy nugget" and
"don't know buttkiss".

arnold