"-less" means "less than"? Or "lacking"?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue May 31 20:15:09 UTC 2005

On May 31, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "-less" means "less than"? Or "lacking"?
> --------
>
>> I recently bought "stainless steel" forks and knives from Crate and
>> Barrel.
>> The product description (included inside the box, not posted outside)
>> read
>> "Will It Stain?
>> Yes. The name says it all. It's stain-less steel, not stain-free
>> steel! Nevertheless, it will stain much less than other steels:
>> silver, bronze, etc. With proper care, staining can be minimized or
>> eliminated."

To me, this looks like a scam. In all my born days, which are
uncomfortably close to seventy, I've never known a single instance in
which stainless steel has become stained. This is also the experience
of my 94-year-old mother. It's probably not impossible to stain
stainless steel, but ordinary kitchen use won't stain it. I'd return
that junk to C&B and, after I'd gotten my money back or received a
credit ["received a credit" - is that right or should it be "received
credit" or another construction?] suggest to them that they no longer
deal with that company.

-Wilson Gray