Jints = Giants (Cuban 1889, NY 1908)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 4 15:28:21 UTC 2005

At 7:04 AM -0800 11/4/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I've always (i.e., since the '50s) thought that "Jints" was
>pronounced  /dgaInts/. In other words, like a one-syllable "Giants,"
>presumably the pronunciation of the less refined classes.

Indeed; it is nice to have a rhyme for "pints", without having to
rely on a possible future relocation of the New Orleans pro football
team to Sydney or Brisbane.

And speaking of reanalyses, although not of spelling pronunciations,
a message some of us just received on the forensic linguistics list
contained a reference to a "racial epiteph/slur", and this from an
FBI analyst at Quantico whose speciality is forensics.  19 google
hits for "racial epiteph" and, yes, another 357 for "racial epitaph".
Obviously blending at work again.  (I didn't check to see how many of
them followed serious hate-crime fatalities.)  Orthographic eggcorn
alert?

Larry