" 'white' sleep"

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Fri Nov 4 20:35:09 UTC 2005

Alice Faber wrote:

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Alice Faber <faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: " 'white' sleep"
>
>Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>

>>In his 1957 novel _A Death in the Family_, James Agee uses the term "a ' white ' sleep" [Agee's single quotes] to describe the very troubled sleep of an anxious character. The story is set in Knoxville, Tenn., in 1916.
>>
>>Is anybody familiar with this phrase?  The quotation marks seem to imply that Agee regarded it as idiomatic, but I can find no other reference to it.
>>

>I'm wondering if it isn't a translation from some European language. The
>first thing that comes to mind for me is "white nights", with similar
>meaning, in a Hebrew novel by Aharon Megged (I believe it might be _The
>Lover_).

In French, _nuit blanche_ ("white night") means a sleepless night in
both the insomnia and the partying sense. In German, the plural "weiße
Nächte" is much more literary and I think usually recognized as a
reference to Dostoevsky's novel(la), the title of which is translated as
"White Nights".

Chris Waigl

--
blog:      http://serendipity.lascribe.net/