"Does anybody remember laughter?"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 10 16:01:47 UTC 2005

>I wonder how universal this distinction ever was. There must always
>have been speakers who were insensitive to nuances of this sort.
>Certainly there were plenty in the NYC around 1960 who didn't
>obviously observe the distinction.
>
>Even "bang" and "screw" have been used transitively with female subjects.
>
>Grammatical subjects.
>
>JL

I actually got a lot of flak from students in language and gender
classes when I used the data from that paper (and the Baker one I
mentioned in my last note).  I agree with Jon that the distinctions
Quang draws may have been, as it were, overblown.  There are also
other parameters not considered therein: male/female vs.
penetrator/penetratee (cf. same-sex coupling) vs.
initiator/initiatee.  Perhaps in the canonical case these may have
coincided, but that leaves out quite a lot of variation.