defense = verb

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Nov 16 15:32:09 UTC 2005

Ben asked :-) if they make the same joke about the Battle of New Orleans?

If I can be included in they, they have.

"We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin'..." btw comes from the
ballad "The Battle of New Orleans" by the late Jimmie Driftwood nee James
Morris of Timbo Arkansas.

Jimmie set it to the old fiddle tune "The Eighth of January".

The most famous recording of it was by Johnny Horton.

Page Stephens

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: defense = verb

---