jump = copulate with?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 17 02:47:22 UTC 2005

What we have here is a failure to communicate because of a dialect split.
For me, "he jumped her" has only the reading, "he attacked her, most likely
from behind or by some other means of ambush." From a "jump" - with
reference to rhythm - blues:

Dog jumped a rabbit
And he [the rabbit] hid behind a stump
Dog jumped a rabbit
And his [the rabbit's] heart went bumpity-bump.

"Rams *jump* sheep"? Who knew? ;-) I'm not familiar with that usage at all,
though I have seen roosters literally jump *on* hens in order to copulate
with them. It looks like we're two ships passing in the night, with repect
to non-literal uses of "jump."

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray