jump = copulate with?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 18 18:06:45 UTC 2005

At 11:40 AM -0500 11/18/05, Page Stephens wrote:
>A friend of mine and his wife once surreptitiously jumped over a sword
>three times during their wedding ceremony on the ground that it was an old
>celtic or as I recall  more specifically a Welsh custom.
>
>Obviously a revival of an old purported custom

Re this custom:
I wonder if the sword the couple jumps over is not so much a phallic
reference, but one evoking the sword that would lie between and
separate a couple who cohabited chastely in a bed.  Supposedly this
was part of the courting ritual in various (chilly) parts of the
Western world, right?  So then the wedding ceremony permits the
couple to surmount or overcome that barrier (which admittedly might
have been easier to ignore during the sparking period than, say, a
chastity belt).

Larry