"Stocking cap" and "[hair-]do rag"' revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 21 18:45:51 UTC 2005

At 12:04 PM -0500 11/21/05, George Thompson wrote:
>Listening to the Sunday night NFL game last night.  A squabble broke
>out on the field among the players, and one lost his helmet.  The play
>by play broadcaster remarked that this revealed the player's do-rag.
>The color guy, I believe John Riggins, exclaimed that he had never
>known what it was called.
>
>Now, I am an old white codger who hasn't spent much time in locker
>rooms with black guys who wear do-rags -- unlike John Riggins -- but
>I've known the word for years.
>
>Am I hipper than I suppose?  Or is John Riggins a dunce?

If not a dunce, someone who's been periodically out of it over the
last couple of decades due to extensive self-medication--remember,
this is the guy who got plastered at a formal dinner in the nation's
capital during the 80's and advised Justice Sandra Day O'Connor,
seated across the table from him, "Loosen up, Sandy baby."

larry