Wilde on Wallpaper

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 28 18:13:44 UTC 2005

I have the following in my quotation manuscript:

Decidedly one of us will have to go.
        Oscar Wilde, quoted in H. Montgomery Hyde, Oscar Wilde (1975). Wilde
allegedly made this remark on his deathbed in reference to the wallpaper in his
Paris hotel room.

Can anyone trace this or a similar wording back further than 1975?  We are
looking here presumably for a secondary source rather than a writing of
Wilde's.

Fred Shapiro