Early Citations for "Cool"

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sat Oct 1 14:02:53 UTC 2005

 arnold writes:

>.............What makes it so cool/etc. is (that) he's going to look just
>like me.
>
>or to a clearly paratactic "set-up + pay-off" construction, in which
>you announce that you're going to supply some information and then
>supply it:..........
~~~~~~~~~
Joseph Henry Jackson, longtime book reviewer (for either the NYTimes or the
SFChronicle; can't remember which since we took both when we lived in
Berkeley) used this type of construction so much that it became a
parodiable trait.
"What makes this book so remarkable is the splendid quality of the writing"
reappeared in various guises over and over  in his reviews.
A. Murie