man+(noun) combining form

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 3 02:58:45 UTC 2005

Here's a related example:

My recollection is that in Louisville, Kentucky, in the 1950's and 1960's,
the term "colored man" did NOT mean "an African-American male" but rather had
the more specific meaning "an African-American male employed in a white
household" or even more specifically "an African-American male employed in a  white
household as a semi-skilled artisan, such as a handyman or  gardener."
Similarly "colored woman" had the specific meaning "an  African-American cleaning
woman".   However (NAACP please note)  "colored people" did indeed mean
"African-Americans in general".

Also you failed to note that sometimes the noun for a female job is formed
by the suffic "-ix", e.g. "aviatrix" (now long obsolete) or "executrix of an
estate" (this one is in current legal usage.)

Somewhat OT:  I once read an article by a male chauvinist who in his  oinking
tried to prove some long-forgotten point by noting that the English  language
lacked a term for "male midwife".  It turns out he was  wrong.  There is such
an English word: "accoucher" (dated by MWCD11 to  1759).

Also, one must note that in English a "man-of-war" is always referred  to as
"she".

      - James A. Landau