"Masseuse" replacing "masseur"?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 4 13:11:40 UTC 2005

I keep hearing an annoying TV commercial aimed at women in which
something is described as being "Dating-a-masseuse good!" Why would a
supposedly-straight woman describe something as being as good as
dating another woman? Has "masseur" fallen out of use? For me, it's
ironic, because I'm old enough to remember when "masseur" was used for
both men and women. My WAG is that "masseuse" became popular as the
so-called "massage with a happy ending," i.e. orgasm, became popular

-Wilson Gray